Monday 7 February 2011

Amazing Argan Oil - a treat for skin and hair

On a clear day I can see the tips of the Rif Mountains in Morocco from my patio, and its only half a days journey from my village to get to this land of beauty and intrigue that feels like its in another time. In the southwestern part of this fascinating country grows the until recently in decline tree Argania spinosa that produces a hard nut which when crushed and toasted results in the much prized Argan oil.

The harvesting and milling of the argan nuts has traditionally been the job of the Berber women who inturn have used the oil on their skin and hair. The oil contains twice as much vitamin E as Olive oil and is also extremely rich in the essential fatty acids, Omega 3, 6 and 9 that are essential in maintaining hidration levels in the skin, making it a fabulous aid against any dry skin condition such as excema or psoriasis. The high levels of Omega 6 (35.9% of fatty acids) means its also a useful oil for use in massage therapies as it´s been shown to be an effective antinflamatory when applied to the skin.

Fortunately for me I was able to buy some of this organic argan oil and have started using it on my hair and skin, which seeing as Im in my mid forties are quite often on the dry side. After washing my hair and conditioning it as normal I squeeze a small amount ( about the size of a peanut) in the palm of my hand and then disperse this evenly through my towel dried hair. It really helps to make it more silky and manageable and has notably improved the shine and also the definition of my curls. On my skin I then rub on whats left. The great thing about this oil is it doesnt sit ontop of the skin or hair but goes straight in so it doesnt leave a greasy residue.

Apart from anything else this oil is also a great addition to any meal particularly salads where one can really pick out its unique toasted nutty taste. I would really recommend sourcing some of this product and trying it out both in the kitchen and bathroom.

2 comments:

  1. I've learned that North African Argan tree has been declared an endangered species by the United Nations Education and Scientific Organization since as early as 1999. I am now trying alternatives like olive and larch tree oils for skin care.
    www.joannavargas-skincare.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that the Argan tree grows in a very small part of Morocco, the Souss region in the southwest. However due to its enormous potential as a reliable income source in that area it is protected by international organizations but more importantly by the people that rely on it in part for their livelihoods. Producing Argan oil doesnt affect the tree itself and the increase in demand only means that this oil will become more and more expensive creating more wealth in the area and therefore more incentive to protect it. Although Olive oil is a fantastic skin care oil in my experience, it really doesnt compare to the benefits of Argan.

    ReplyDelete